Eifel 2010, Kyll river Germany - day 3

On our last day of our trip we would fish a short session on the
Kyll river before we had to go home.
The route home would be a little longer because one of us had
forgotten some stuff at the rental place at the Rur river so we had
to track back to get his stuff.
After breakfast the manager of our camping directed us to a
worthwhile spot by means of a rather impressionistic sketch.

Near St. Thomas

The only thing I could make out was that it was on near the village
of St. Thomas ( a stretch where you needed a different permit)
and a railroad bridge.
We entered St. Thomas but the bridge we parked at was probably not
the right one.
We opted to walk out in the fields until we found that split in the
river that formed the border of the stretch we where allowed to fish
I had to get to the other side of the river but somehow there was
not a suitable spot to cross.
When I came at a railway bridge I decided I had walked enough and
cleared a path down to the waters egde.
I landed in one piece down the bank but the spot I choose was a bit
deep to cross, I made it to the other side safely but when I crawled 
up the other bank I saw that I had to fight the jungle to get 
The other guys had found an easier stretch and where fishing right 
below a fast flowing stretch.
They also had caught fish, one trout and one grayling to be precise.

Kyll river.

Below the fast flowing stretch the two branches of the river joined 
and ended in a wide slow flowing stretch.
Since temperatures had plummeted the night before the insect 
activity was pretty low and no rising fish where to be seen.
I progressed down stream and tossed a dry fly close into the adecent 
bank but got no response from fish.

Downstream, slow flowing part of the river.

The other guys thought they where on a roll after their first fish 
but nothing happened anymore so they left for parts unknown.
When I positioned myself in their vacated spots I thought to myself 
that it had to be a perfect spot for nymphing.
I was very keen to get at least one Grayling from the Kyll river so 
I tied on a pink caddis nymph that was weighted with a tungsten bead.
I fished the deep bank of the river and after a while something 
curious happened, the nymph drifted past me with unbelievably a 
grayling racing after it.
I tried to slow down the drift of the nymph and behold the grayling 


My day was made with this grayling, it was the largest one I had 
caught in years so the mission was an utter success.
The rest of the day did not go so well, it seemed like there where 
less fishing roaming these parts as in the section we had fished a
day earlier.

As I searched for other suitable spots I noticed that the forest 
floor was dug up pretty drastically, a sign that wild boar where 
probably around.
I checked out some sections downstream but they where wide and deep 
with no sign of rising fish.

Late in the afternoon the wind picked up quite a bit and leaves fell 
from the trees, I got a fall feeling.
Even though it was sunny at times the temperature in the shade of 
the mountains combined with the cold water where low.
I found myself once again in the path of my friends who decided it 
might be better to return to the places they had caught fish 
As my friends left I noticed that in the place they stood earlier 
fish where rising.
So I tied on a small dry fly and got several hits but I guessed the 
fish had the size of minnow since they could not drown the dry fly.
I switched back to a nymph and caught my last fish of the trip, a 
little brown trout.

Last fish of the trip.

A call on the radio came in that it was time to go so I climbed on the bank and took a good last look at the Kyll river.

Signs of fall.

On the way back to the car I ran into the Joop who was directing 
Alfons, still in the river, to a rising fish.
Alfons had a last good shot at a nice trout but missed the fish.
His tried to take the fast route out of the river by wading across 
but found that the river was a bit deeper than he liked it to be.
He made it dry to the other side but had quite some difficulties 
getting ashore due to the steep muddy bank.

The border between the Kyllburg and St.Thomas sections on the Kyll river.

We all met up in the field where we had parked the car.
As we where packing in the local farmer came along inquiring how the 
fishing was and if we where fishing the St. Thomas stretch. 
We told him we had just parked the car in his field which was 
sufficient information for the farmer.
The famer told us he was a member of cooperative than ran the St 
Thomas stretch of the Kyll river and that we maybe should try that 
stretch on our next visit.
Like in most of Germany they had also suffered from the uncontrolled 
increase in the Cormorant populations that ruined the rivers in 
Winter time.
The sad fact is that especially Grayling stocks wiped out at many rivers.

We drove back to the camping, cleared out the cabin and headed back 
to the Rur river at Blens.
We picked up the stuff that our friend had left in the rental 
cottage and decided to enjoy another good German dinner before we 
headed back to the Netherlands.

Although it was a rather short trip this time with only 3 fishing 
days we still had tremendous fun.
I learned quite a bit on this trip and will have to make some 
adjustments to my tackle and tactics when I will go there another 
time which is a very likely scenario.