Last saturday the weather was not so pleasant for fishing so I tied
some nymphs and lures instead.
On sunday the weather was decent so I decided to field test the new
flies.

IMG_0091.jpg
They went north...

IMG_0096.jpg
The setup.

Besides the pheasant tails I had tied some brassies and fitted them with a tungsten gold bead hoping they would do the trick.
I scouted the stream for suitable test objects but the stream looked empty.

IMG_0095.jpg
Clear water.

After a while I found some fish but to get near to them was quite difficult.
I managed a few drifts and caught the first small dace of the season.

IMG_0093.jpg
Dace

I wondered where all the roach had gone - none to be seen.
As I came near the watermill in the village I noticed that the roach where
present.
It looked however like something was chasing them so I figured that somebody might have stocked trout for the opening of the season
next week.
Since I could not clearly make out what moving in the water it might also
have been a perch so I tied on a small lure to see what was in the pool.
One small perch had a go at the fly but that was it.

IMG_0102.jpg
Favorite roach spot.

It was time to switch to the nymphing setup again and vist the good spots
where more roach could be found.
At one spot where a tree had fallen in the water I could spot dozens of roach between the submergded branches.
It was an unfishable spot though as the nymph would get tangled in seconds in the debris.

Further upstream I managed to catch a couple of roach and I am happy to day that the fish are increasing in size.

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
Roach

I had a little talk with one of the villagers who mentioned that he had seen quite a few cormorants this winter.
We have to see what effect they have had on the fish population.
It is still early season though so I suspect that the big schools of roach and dace will pop up when the countryside is green again.