It has been a while since I fished for chub.
The main reason was for most part the weather as it was either to cold, to windy or there ws
to much water to fish for them.

With high summer and progress and a few sunny and warm day forecast I finally went on the
road again to check out my chub haunts.
First stop was a body of water in the territory of a new syndicate I had joined last year.
I had already scouted a mighty fine spot and had fished it in the cold spring without
any results.
With the current warm weather I just had to catch something there.
There was not a cloud in the sky, well I am lying now as I could spot a plume coming off
from the cooling tower of a nearby nuclear plant.

When I arrived at the stream I was dissappointed that the water was so murky even though
the water levels where not high.
Not encouraging was the total lack of surface activity on the water, last summer the chub
actively chased damsel but it was all quiet on the water now.
In the end I tossed a nymph behind a weir with not much luck,
When the nymph travelled past the outflow of the weir I fished a fish struck.
It was a small chub but the first of the season, good enough for me.

IMG 1561
IMG 1563
IMG 1569

When I checked out another nearby stream I noticed a very large shape in the water.
It was a chub, a large one that was stationary in the current.
Off course I had a go at the fish but I suspected it had already spotted me in advance and
ignored everything I tossed in front of its nose.

I gave up on that chub and headed further downstream where some broad sections of the
stream would probably give me a better shot at landing a larger chub.
Only some small chub where visible in the surface, not the kind of fish I had hoped for.
On the plus side, the cherry trees where loaded.

IMG 1570
IMG 1572

I did catch a few of the small chub but nothing decent so again it was time to check out some
other haunts.
At one location I spotted some smaller chub in the shallows and off course I tried to catch them.
Those fish where however very hard to catch as they where extremely wary in the shallow water.
Even the sight of an indicator would scare the fish away.

IMG 1573

The spot I was fishing was the spot where I had caught my largest chub to date in my neighborhood,
even more memorable was the fact that it was on a big dry mayfly pattern.
Often you could see the big chub cruise happily along the stream, now with the murky water no signs
of them.
The shady tree at the bank however was a spot that had to be fished thoroughly.
It took some arkward casting to finally get my nymph under that tree but as soon as I did a big chub
came and nailed the fly.
Now I was in trouble as I was standing up on the weir, to have any chance to land the fish I had to get into the water.

As I had no waders with me I had to jump in like I was, well first I had to crawl under the newly installed electric
fence with rod in hand and still connected to the chub.
After I had crawled under the fence from the weir I had to slide in along the steep embankment.
That all went well - I even had secured my phone - just in case I would have to get into deeper water.
So I was still connected to the chub but now I was standing in the stream.
The chub was masssive and used it weight and strength to dive into the aquatic vegitation.
I had to drag the fish out of the weeds all the time, finally the fish was logded solidly amongst some
My crude attempt to dislogde the fish with the landing net resulted in a sudden surge of the fish that
severed my tippet.
So there I was, not looking that happy - wet - in the middle of the stream.

I wanted to re-tie when I noticed I was missing something, my flybox with a few hundred nymphs.
Now I was starting to feel really bad.
All I could do was to get up the bank and scout for my fly box from a high vantage point.
Luckily the box was quickly spotted - a relieve.
Up on the weir I could determine that I had scared off all the small chub with my actions.

Allthough the idea seemed far fetched I concluded that there was a slight possibility that another
chub could be hiding under that shady tree.
So another size 14 goldbead PT nymph went for a swim.
To my surprise a large gray shape moved from underneath the shady tree and intercepted the nymph.
Again I was connected to a hefty chub and the whole electric fence routine was repeated.
This time I was putting more pressure on the fish and coaxed it out of the weedpatches.
The fish took me around the pilings of the weir but I countered every move and in the end could net the fish.

IMG 1579
Catch of the day.

I took a little break from the fishing under one of the trees at the weir and enjoyed my
little moment of succses of the big chub.
In order to dry up I fished a little more in the open fields where a breeze made you forget
that it was a hot 26 degrees Celsius.

The ony thing I spotted in the open water where those pesky breams milling around in the
deep water behind a shallow patch overgrown with ranunculus.

IMG 1580
IMG 1582
IMG 1586

Under carefull observation by the cows I managed to catch some small chub from beneath the

IMG 1587
IMG 1588

Time had flown and since I had skipped breakfast in the morning so I had to get something to eat.
Earlier in the day I had a conservation with one of the locals who also was a fisherman.
To his knowlegde the stained water was rather unusual and it was most likely caused by the work that
was going ahead upstream to remove some old weirs.
My plans for the rest of the day where clear, first lunch - then off too see what the weir removal team
was doing.

From previous visits I knew a nice place for lunch nearby.
Under the shade of some large trees I enjoyed a good meal and some cold beers at
an old guesthouse in the middle of nowhere.
It was quite late when I finally left the guest house but I still wanted to check out some new
spots I had scouted out earlier in the year.

IMG 1590
IMG 1592

A warning sign that warns that the local fox population carries a dangeous parasite - tapeworm.
Stay on the roads - do not consume any wild fruit etc. as these foxes distribute the eggs of the worm
by means of their feces - they poop and pee all over the place ...
It is potentially deadly for humans - I looked it up and appearantly 94% of people infected die
within 10 to 20 years after discovery of the parasite.

IMG 1599
IMG 1601

On my way to the removed weir I noticed this nice rodent nibbling away at the shrubs.
You have to watch of for the holes they dig in the embankments as you could easily break your
legs with the traps these furry misfits make.

IMG 1604

I checked out the removed weir which was quite an improvement from the old steel one that used to
be there.
All done to make it possible for migrating fish to head up and down the stream.
I fished the fast flowing sections at the end of the reworked weir and noticed fish where present in
numbers in the fast water.

IMG 1606

IMG 1608IMG 1619

It was the first time I had ever fished there but with four chub in a row I knew the place had
The upstream section of the weir also looked inviting but as the sun was getting pretty low in the sky
I knew I had to get on my home.

IMG 1610
IMG 1611
IMG 1614
IMG 1615

All in all a very grand day, those chub had grown that big not because they there stupid.
I scouted out some new places and boy it was pretty down there.
I will probably be back there next week when the weather holds up.