This Sunday would be the last day when we could enjoy the quiet sunny fall weather 
before a southwesterly flow would bring in unstable and wet weather from the Atlantic. 
The day started with high clouds, later in the day the wind would pick up if the 
weather prediction would be accurate.


So I was off again to the mill pool were this time nobody was fishing, the word had

got around that the pool had been emptied of trout.


At the mill pool I spotted some dace in the shallows, a carefully placed nymph yielded a
a respectable dace.
I also noticed a giant trout actively hunting in the shallows so I quickly replaced the nymph
and tied on heavy mono and a zonker streamer.
Things did not pan out as I had hoped and my only short contact was to a medium sized
perch that managed to throw the hook.

As I had disturbed the mill pool my next move would be to check out some of the good spots
on the main stream and return to the mill pool later.
The water was even clearer and lower than the day before making fishing even trickier.


Curiously my good spots did not produce any fish nor could I spot any movement.
Only after using a heavier fly I started catching fish in deeper water.


The stream yielded not that many fish so it was off to the mill pool again.
On the way back I noticed something at the edge of the corn field which turned out to be a roe deer.
The deer however had already seen me and was pondering what to do, at least I could grab
the camera and make a maximum zoom shot before the deer ran off.
In a few weeks that corn would be all but gone as harvesting was in full swing.


Although I lived in the city I noticed that for the past several nights geese where flying over
in fast numbers, signs of a changing season.
Now I could even spot them during the day.


Back at the mill pool the sun had come out and fish where moving about.
It was not like the day before though as the wind had indeed picked up and the water was full
of debris. The fish where only sporadically rising.
The fish where rising pretty near to the weir of the mill, for proper presentation I had to
wade into the pool.
Like the day before I noticed the what I call shell shocked trout at the end of the mill pool.
Clearly visible in the water it would lay stationary on the floor of the pool and would only
scoot off I you would come within two feet of it.

The feeding fish turned out to be dace as expected but a real surprise was the brown
trout that was feeding with the dace, my first and probably last brown trout on the dry fly this season.


After a few more dace from the pool the fish stopped rising and all action died down.
As the pub was open early it was the ideal time for an afternoon break.


After lunch it was back at the pool but before I had the chance to go fishing I was again
invited for coffee by the inhabitants of the mill so I enjoyed my coffee and watched
the blue lightning aka kingfisher fly over the weir of the mill.


The fishing on this day was still pretty good but I wondered why one of the first pools had not produced
any fish so before I called it quits I had to try and find out why.
While fishing the pool in the morning I had used one of my smaller nymphs which was in 
general a constant fish producer.

With the decreased levels I figured it would be even easier to reach the desired depth.
It looked though like the current was moving faster than on earlier occasions as debris had 
accumulated at the stones from the shallow weir in front of the pool.
A heavier red midge was tied on and after a while I hooked and lost a small trout.
I continued fishing until I again got a fish on, this time a larger trout.
After landing the trout my mission for the day was accomplished and I could go home with peace of mind.

Next week I will probably try a different river as I still want to catch a river perch or pike.