The weatherforecast for the weekend was not that good considering the fact it was nearly summer.
A strong breeze and rather low temperatures made it look more like fall.
No blue skies but clouds and now and then some sprinkles or rain.

As I had not visited the chub spot for a long time that would be my first port of call for this day.
I did made a stop at a weir but the water was shallow due to lack of decent rainfall and fish were
few and small.
The chub spot was equally shallow but some fish could be spotted.
I managed a dace and a small chub, the bigger chub were spotted but I just could not get near
them to make a decent cast.
The dry fly was the weapon of choice for these low water conditions.

As the open spots did not yield any more fish and the banks were by now overgrown with huge
nettles and thistles I opted to head to the forest and scout for trout instead.
After I few smaller dace and trout I finally hooked a somewhat larger fish from a pool were I had
seen a trout before. 
This time I did manage to hook the fish and was quite surprised that it was a rainbow trout.
Not the largest on record but it did put a good bend it the rod.

On my last visit I thought the mayfly hatch was over but surprisinly on this dull day
the mayflies were out in force.
Unfortunately the fish were not rising, only the yellow wagtails had a field day.


It took some planning but we managed to get to the Harz mountains once again.
Part of the problem was that I had to get time off from work and as I had recently
switched employers I did not want to start my first day at work with asking for free time
even though this trip had been long in the planning.

One major hurdle was the fact that our interpretation of off season did not reflect the
reality of life meaning all the hotels near the river where booked.
So we ended up in the town of Braunlage quite a distance from the water meaning every
day a 25 minute commute along a country road winding though little settlements in the

My buddy had booked the hotel and soon saw the errors of his ways as it had no opportunity
for our usual drinks after the fishing sessions usually after 21.00 hrs in the evening.
At the first evening we went into town for some beers but at the first pub we were only
able to get one round before they kicked us of the premises because they closed early.
Luckily thanks to the power of Google I had found an Italian restaurant that stayed open
a little later so the second round was still a possibility.
The way back to the hotel was an uphill battle … literally as the road seemed to be build
at an 45 degree angle … we always joked we needed an extra beer just to account for the
sweat lost while climbing the hill.

The fishing … not as good as usual due to the very low water table but we still managed to
catch our fair share of fish and had as usual tons of fun.
Weatherwise the afternoon thunderstorms caused us to make fast tracks a few time as these
storms would appear out of nowhere when they came over the mountain top.
All in all in this trip went pretty smooth and even the hotel where the reviews stated it was left
stuck in time was pretty ok for a few guys going on a fishing trip.
Looking forward for another trip to that region although it will probably not be this year.


It was not so long after the flash flooding at my fishing spot and the water
was still very murky.
As usual the banks of the river were slippery as hell as the deposited mud had
the consistency of grease …
My descent from the bank to the waters edge  was rather uncontrolled and ungraceful.

Grey skies and drizzle dampened the mood somewhat but despite the murky
water a very decent dace decided to take the nymph … amazing.
Today was the first test of the recently purchased Bloke glass rod build and oh what
a joy it was to cast and catch fish with that rod.

I got everything from Dace over Roach (or a hybrid) to a very decent trout and
the rod handled all situations exceptionally well.
The skies got friendly at the end of the day and even the sun appeared.
My stopover at the pub was well deserved and I ended the day making a visit
up on the hill to gaze over the land below and thinking about what a great day it was.


Had the honor to once again mess about with the sluice gates of the mill to get rid of some accumulated debris from the flooding.
Amazing how much power the water has even though the gate was just lifted a little.
Next job was to remove the stranded pallets in the mill pool, I discovered my el cheapo waders are not watertight anymore...
The time left was spend with fishing and with a mix of small dace, a gudgeon and some decent trout I was pretty content.
It was another glass day ... what a joy to fish with the Bloke build.


Another hot day and as those hordes of fish in the stagnant water above the mill haunted
me I tried for them this morning again.
Unlike yesterday the fish were not stacked up on top as the day before ... it took a while
before I spotted them.

The fish where not cooperative ... whatever fly I used it was in vain.
Carp where spawning and making a lot of racket, they ploughed through the schools
of shiner scattering the fish in every direction.
Further upstream some dace where moving in the surface and were willing to take a 

The heat and humidity were unbareble so I headed for some sheltered spots in the
forest but even there nothing was biting.
A break at the pub seemed like a good idea.

The afternoon session was cut short after the skies darkened and an eerie wind
started to pick up.
A weather warning was issued for areas to the south predicting thunderstorms and
hail ... I did not wait for that to happen and left early.