Due to circumstances I made it only past midday to the beach and the first downside
was that the access point I usually took was closed due to storm damage.
It was evident that the hurricane had made short work of many of the trees in the
Port Royal neighborhood.

The alternative access to the beach was open and my first thought was that I should
have looked at the tide table first as the whole Gulf had a brown tannic color.
Visibility was very poor and I only noticed one Snook in the surf.
There was bait but no sight of working birds offshore or even the otherwise so
plentiful dolphins.

My first fish came from a damaged set of pilings, a small ladyfish.
I had hoped for more action but could net get into fish.
It was evident that the hurricane had tossed many of the stones from the
jetties at the end of the beach around.

The water was notably deeper from my visit last year meaning that a lot
of beach has been gone, elevation lower.
Some of the seawalls of the houses where now constantly exposed to the

For my snook fix I decided to head into the Gordon pass inlet hoping to see
fish moving over the sandbar.
Luck was with me as there where quite a few snook moving inside.
Even in the murky water they where easy to spot as the glas minnows formed
circles around them.
I used my surplus Searun brown flies from a cancelled spring fishing trip on
the Snook. The particular pattern called pattegrisen or pink pig yielded two
Snook for me.  This fly was tied on a Partrigde shrimp hook and used Whiting
Spey hackles ... tied them in pink and white.

High tide brought clean water from the Gulf but when I checked the beach the
water stayed murky there.
I reclined from going back to the pass as the waves where now battering the
seawalls at the end and due to the murky water I could not see all the nasty
stones hidden along the shore.
I called it a day at around 5.00 pm.

DSC 0226DSC 0227DSC 0228DSC 0229DSC 0231DSC 0232DSC 0233DSC 0234DSC 0235DSC 0236DSC 0239DSC 0240DSC 0241DSC 0243DSC 0245DSC 0246DSC 0247P1030545P1030547